A man rides a horse through flames during the annual “Luminarias” celebration on the eve of Saint Anthony’s day, Spain’s patron saint of animals, in the village of San Bartolome de Pinares, northwest of Madrid.REUTERS/Paul Hanna
Hello! Here’s what you need to know on Tuesday.
1. British Prime Minister Theresa May will reveal her roadmap for a Hard Brexit. She is expected to reject any settlement that amounts to “partial membership” of the EU, suggesting that the UK will leave both the single market and the customs union.
2. The gunman suspected of killing 39 in an attack on an Istanbul nightclub has been captured. The man, reportedly operating under the cover name Abu Muhammed Horasani, was caught by police in a hideout in Istanbul’s Esenyurt district with his four-year-old son.
3. German chancellor Angela Merkel has told US President-Elect Donald Trump that Europe’s fate is now “in our own hands.” Her comments come after Trump criticised her refugee policy as an “utterly catastrophic mistake.”
4. The wife of the Orlando nightclub shooter has been arrested in California. She faces federal charges of obstruction of justice, and aiding and abetting the attempted provision of material support to a foreign terrorist organisation.
5. Five people have died after a gunman opened fire outside a nightclub in Mexico. Another 15 were injured. The gunman is believed to have entered the Blue Parrot nightclub in Playa del Carmen resort at 3 a.m.