The White House communications director Michael Dubke has resigned, in the first sign that a long-expected staff shakeup by the president has begun.
White House aide Kellyanne Conway said on Fox and Friends on Tuesday morning that Dubke offered his resignation before Donald Trump left for his first overseas trip earlier this month.
Conway said: “He has expressed his desire to leave the White House, and made very clear that he would see through the president’s international trip and come to work every day, and work hard through that trip.”
Trump has been reported to be considering a shakeup, with press secretary Sean Spicer believed to be likely to be moved.
Addressing those rumors, Conway added: “I also would note, because many people again misreported this, that Sean Spicer is expected back at the podium today for an on-the-record briefing at 2pm.”
According to an Axios report, Trump is considering an overhaul to the White House communications strategy, which may include fewer on-camera briefings.